Click Here to sign the Darfur Petition!

Friday, April 14, 2006

my local community - south hobart

i've been thinking i'd like to get more involved in my local community of South Hobart. Today I went to the All Saints Anglican church just down the road for the first time. It was a Good Friday service, the choir sang beautiful music and it was nice to think many of the other people attending probably live in South Hobart.

There's lots of opportunities to get more involved in south hobart: the bushcare groups, the south hobart progress association, the school, volunteering at vinnies, going to other local churches. There's probably other ways to - let me know if you have any ideas. I did go to a Bushcare group once at Waterworks Reserve. I'd like to help start a South Hobart community garden - if it were in the right location with the right kind of community consultation and ownership then i think it could work really well in South Hobart.

I should use local business a bit more - i think i might have my birthday at Flathead's Fish Monger and Fish Cafe this year - it's just at the bottom of my street.

Unfortunatley the annual bonfire night that is held near cascade brewery has been cancelled this year.

In the latest newsletter by the South Hobart progress assocation newsletter they reported some interesting voting statistics for 2 south hobart polling booths in the latest state election:
Polling Place Libs Greens Labour
Cascade 16% (n=90) 55% (n= 310) 29% (n= 160)
Xavier's 24% (n=402) 45% (770) 31% (529)

1 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Sherrin said...

I have often thought about how easy it is go get to know people in the community, and non-Christians, just through joining local groups. I never do it though! I have only been to a few local events, and have not joined any groups. It is great that you are trying to put your ideas into action.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats